I’ve never attempted to make Butter Chicken as I really love the Patak’s Butter Chicken Sauce and have always used that. However, I pretty much make everything from scratch and rarely use jars or cans, so thought it’s about time that I had a go.
A quick Google search came up with this really slick recipe from Thermo Dreaming. I love the fact that her method is simple and the recipe very quick to make. It also had some great reviews. However, I had time, so I thought I could improve on it by allowing the spices to cook a little longer, so I’ve adapted it to suit our tastes.
Either chicken breasts or chicken thighs can be used. I had forgotten to add the cornflour to the recipe I made today, so you can see that the sauce is still lovely, but just a little runnier. Perfect for the rice to soak up.
There are two ways of going about this recipe. One is to make the sauce and use it as a marinade for the chicken, or making the sauce and cooking the chicken in it straight away. I have done both and enjoyed both. If using the sauce as a marinade for chicken breasts, I would recommend cooking and cooling the sauce first to ensure the onion and spices are cooked out well before the chicken is cooked. Thighs can take longer cooking, so this isn’t a problem.
- 6 large chicken thighs (around 750g), cut into large pieces, fat removed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into coins
- 80g salted butter
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp regular paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp dried chillies, or to taste
- 2 tsp salt
- 20g apple cider vinegar
- 80g tomato paste
- 120g natural yoghurt
- 1 x 400g canned crushed tomatoes
- 120g thickened cream
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- Prepare chicken and set aside in the fridge.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to the Thermomix bowl and mince on speed 7 for 5 seconds.
- Scrape down. I scrape out and wash the lid at this stage so no raw onion is mixed in with the cooked at a later stage.
- Add butter and spices and cook 10 minutes, 100, speed 1, reverse.
- Add remaining ingredients,including chicken, but except cream and cook for 15 minutes, 100, speed 1, reverse.
- Add the cornflour to a little of the cream and stir into the chicken mixture with spatula.
- Add remaining cream and cook for 3 minutes, 100, speed 1, reverse.
- Place into Thermoserver until ready to serve.
If using chicken breasts, follow the recipe above, but cook the sauce for an extra 5 minutes. Add the chicken breasts, cut into large pieces and cook for 7 minutes, 100, speed 1 reverse. Place in Thermoserver until ready to serve.
Serve with vegetables in a curry sauce and basmati rice.