Now that the leaves are starting to turn and the weather is cooler in the mornings, I find we are looking for a more warming breakfast. There’s nothing nicer than porridge on a cool dark morning and it keeps the hunger pangs away until lunch time.
Oats are an incredibly good for you. Aside from providing both insoluble and soluble fibre in the diet, they are a rich source of manganese, which assists enzymes in bone production. They are also high in B1 and magnesium and they are a low GI food. Lots of great reasons to include oats in your diet.
Here’s a way to spice up that most basic of breakfasts. You will need to start the night before.
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- ½ cup full cream milk (coconut milk, almond milk)
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- ¼ cup sultanas
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Place into a small saucepan, cover and allow to soak overnight.
- In the morning, simply cook until thick and bubbling. Add more milk if necessary.
- Serve with a swirl of honey.
I haven't tried cooking this in the Thermomix. I think it's probably easier to wash the saucepan than the Thermomix bowl. If you do try it in the Thermie, let me know how it goes.