This recipe was given to me, after lots of begging, by a friend of my daughter in law’s. When I first tasted it, I had warmed it in the microwave and served with some cream. It tasted exactly like those Chocolate Mud Cakes from the supermarket, but not as sweet. We secretly love those cakes. I thought it must have been a packet cake because the consistency was so perfect!
When converting this to the Thermomix, I have reduced the sugar quantity from the original recipe.
Place in Thermomix bowl:
- 280g butter, chopped
- 220g water
- 30g cocoa
- 250g sugar
- 280g SR flour
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 120g buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Insert butterfly.
- Melt butter, water and cocoa 3 minutes/55/speed 1, gradually increase to speed 2.5 as it melts.
- Add sugar, flour, bi-carb, vanilla, buttermilk and eggs
- Mix on speed 3 for 15 seconds. Scrape down.
- Increase speed to 4 and continue for a few more seconds until all is incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Leave in tin to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Ice with ganache, plain chocolate or buttercream icing.
Straight out of the freezer into the microwave for 30 seconds.
Serve with cream, ice cream, ganache and berry coulis. People love it!