When I make real berry jelly, I don’t waste the leftover flesh from the berries once they’ve been sieved. Add some green apples and make a smooth jam for using in cream matchsticks, doughnuts or cakes. Just like the bakery jam, but so much nicer! Plus, there’s no waste (except for the apple peel and cores…)
I like to add some raspberry flavouring as the apple can tend to take over since the berries have had a lot of their flavour removed once sieved. I use a pure one called Medicine Flowers for culinary use. These are available at good health food stores or online at Roar Superfoods. It’s very expensive, but only a small amount is needed.
- 400g leftover berry mixture from making real jelly
- 400g green apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
- 8 Tbsp raw sugar (or to taste - I like it tart)
- juice 1 - 2 lemons
- Add everything to the Thermomix bowl and cook for 15 minutes on Varoma, speed 2.5.
- Place clean jars in the oven on 100 for 5 minutes or so to warm up.
- If you wish, sieve jam to remove raspberry seeds.
- Pour into jars and place the lids on.
- Turn jars upside down to seal.
100g berry mix to 100g apples, 2Tbps sugar and juice of ½ lemon.